BOTOXÂ® Cosmetic vs. RestylaneÂ®
By on August 15, 2012
As we age, it is natural to start noticing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around our face. The natural signs of aging can be exaggerated further by frequent exposure to the sun. For Dr. Constance Barone’s clients in San Antonio, plastic surgery may not always be the solution for cosmetic imperfections. For clients who are looking for a quick touch-up or just want to soften those lines and wrinkles, Dr. Barone offers what she likes to call “Lunch Hour Cosmetic Treatments.” These treatments provide quick solutions for subtle signs of aging. Two of the available treatments that may benefit Dr. Barone’s San Antonio patients are BOTOX® Cosmetic or Restylane®.
BOTOX® Cosmetic, medically known as clostridium botulinum, is a toxin. While it is true that this toxin can be dangerous in large amounts, scientists have found a safe way to use it to our benefit. In small, diluted amounts, BOTOX® injections can be used to treat fine lines and wrinkles. During a treatment, BOTOX® Cosmetic is injected into specific muscles to block signals from the nerves to the muscles. This prevents the muscles from contracting and allows wrinkles to relax and soften. When considering BOTOX® treatment, keep in mind the following:
- BOTOX® treatment takes only a few minutes.
- BOTOX® does not require the use of anesthesia.
- Full results should be visible within three to seven days after treatment.
- The effects of BOTOX® can be expected to last for four to six months.
- The most common side effect of BOTOX® treatment is bruising.In rare instances, the patient may experience a headache, but this should resolve itself within a day or two.
- BOTOX® injections are not recommended for women with neurological conditions or those who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Restylane® is a filler injection that contains hyaluronic acid, which is used to draw fluid to the treated area. Restylane® is applied under the skin and puffs up the area to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, or pitted scars. Restylane® can also be used as filler in the lips to give your mouth a fuller appearance. If you are considering Restylane®, keep in the mind the following:
- A Restylane® treatment takes about 15 minutes.
- A local anesthetic may be used to numb the skin for treatment.
- The most common side effect of Restylane® is redness, swelling, itching, or minor pain. This should last for no more than 36 hours.
- To see the full results of Restylane®, repeat sessions may be required.
- The results from Restylane® can be expected to last from nine to 12 months.
- Possible complications from filler injections include infection, bruising or bleeding, and allergic reaction.
Schedule a Consultation
Dr. Barone can answer any further questions you may have aboutBOTOX® Cosmetic or Restylane®,and help you decide which treatment is best for you. If you have larger areas of concern and are looking for more dramatic results, Dr. Barone may recommend to her patients in San Antonio facelift surgery or other surgical procedures that can meet your specific desires. A consultation is free so contact us today. A more youthful and refreshed appearance may be just a lunch break away.
Related to This
“Rating our experience with a perfect score is not enough. The care and attention we received from Dr. Barone and her team was as close to perfection as one can ask for.” Jacqueline W.