Recovering From Liposuction
Liposuction is an extremely popular way for San Antonio patients to rid themselves of small, stubborn areas of fat. A successful liposuction, coupled with diet and exercise, can help you achieve the contour lines you’ve wanted. For patients considering this procedure, here’s what you should expect during the subsequent recovery.
After the Surgery
Depending on the extent of your liposuction procedure, you will be administered general or local anesthetic. Conventional liposuction involves the use of general anesthesia, which means patients are unconscious during surgery and experience some grogginess for a few hours afterward. You will therefore need to be driven home by a family member or friend, but it’s a good idea to always have assistance after surgery, regardless of the type of anesthesia used.
Once home, you will likely experience the following side effects, some of which can be mitigated by certain liposuction procedures.
- Pain/discomfort: The area where liposuction was performed will be sore, especially in the first week. Most patients can manage this pain through over-the-counter medication, but your doctor may prescribe a more powerful painkiller if you experience greater discomfort.
- Bruising and swelling: Both of these should be expected, and will likely persist for weeks after liposuction. Bruising should disappear after a few weeks, though swelling may take months. Consult your doctor if either of these worsen or do not improve over time.
- Bleeding: Expect some bleeding from the surgical incision in the early stages of recovery. This is aided by bandages and an elastic garment, which the doctor will give you upon completion of the procedure.
Some methods of liposuction have the potential to improve the recovery experience. The below procedures are offered by Dr. Barone at her plastic surgery practice:
- Traditional liposuction: An incision is made at the site of liposuction, through which a cannula (a small tube) removes excess fat. This is the basic procedure, upon which other liposuction procedures improve. However, it is reliable and does not introduce any additional complications.
- Fluid-injection liposuction: Prior to the liposuction, the areas of fat are injected with a liquid solution. This enlarges the area, making liposuction easier and reducing blood loss.
- Tumescent liposuction: This is similar to fluid-injection, but with epinephrine added to the solution. Benefits include a greater reduction of blood loss, bruising, and swelling during recovery.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction: Prior to removing fat, it is liquefied externally or internally through an ultrasound probe. Because the fat is easier to remove, incisions tend to be smaller.
- Power-assisted liposuction: In this procedure, the cannula also sends vibrations through the fat, allowing the surgeon to suction it out of the body more easily. Benefits include smaller incisions and less discomfort during surgery, with minimized bruising and swelling afterward.
Tips For Recovery
Regardless of your precise liposuction procedure, there are ways to hasten your recovery and improve the healing process. First and foremost, take time to actually relax and recover. Your body will heal more efficiently if you avoid excessive physical activity. While you should periodically get up and walk around to promote circulation, avoid strenuous tasks and exercise.
Additionally, be sure to wear the compression garment given to you by your doctor. This will help reduce swelling, bruising, and bleeding while it allows your body to conform to its new contour lines. This garment may be removed for bathing, but should otherwise be worn for a directed period of time.
Finally, watch out for infection. You may be prescribed antibiotics, but always keep an eye on your incisions after surgery. Contact your doctor if you experience a progressive increase in pain, swelling, or bruising, as this may be indicative of an infection.
Call Or Email Us Today
If you are considering liposuction and would like more information, contact us to schedule a free consultation. Our facilities contain the latest technology and amenities to provide patients with a sense of professionalism yet comfort. Dr. Barone would love to meet with you and discuss your plastic surgery goals!