Learn How Our Brow Lift Techniques Can Rejuvenate Your Face
Many people develop folds or drooping tissue in their brows as they age. If a sagging or wrinkled forehead is making you look years older or giving you an angry expression, brow lift surgery may be able to help you appear more refreshed, alert, and pleasant. At our San Antonio plastic surgery practice, Dr. Constance Barone uses advanced brow lift techniques to help patients smooth and tighten their brow tissue for a more youthful appearance. If you choose to undergo brow lift surgery at our practice, she will create a customized surgical plan to address your distinct needs and preferences. Read on to learn more about this procedure and the methods we can use to enhance your brow. Understanding your options can allow you to choose the type of brow lift that’s best for your face.
What Can a Brow Lift Fix?
A brow lift can repair any of the following issues:
- Frown lines across your forehead
- Folds of sagging skin in the forehead or brow area
- “Worry lines,” or vertical wrinkles between your brows
- Skin damage in your brow region (typically resulting from sun exposure)
- Sagging upper eyelids caused by heavy brow tissue, which may even interfere with your vision
- Asymmetrical, exaggerated, or in any way unsatisfactory eyebrow proportions
Am I a Good Candidate?
Many patients qualify for brow lift surgery. You may be a good candidate if:
- Your forehead and brow tissue is loose enough. Skin that is too tight and firm will not respond well to this treatment. Most brow lift patients are over 40 years old, but younger people with certain hereditary issues may be good candidates.
- You do not have a compromised immune system or any chronic conditions, since these can make healing from brow lift surgery more complex.
- You are able to undergo anesthesia and sedation as needed.
- You have realistic expectations for this procedure. Dr. Barone can help explain what a brow lift can and cannot address at your initial consultation. For example, if you want to treat sagging in both your upper and lower face, a facelift may be a more appropriate choice for you.
The Traditional Technique
We recommend this type of brow lift to patients with moderate to severe sagging and wrinkles since it produces effective results. The traditional brow lift technique is also called a “coronal” lift. During this procedure, Dr. Barone will make an incision from ear to ear within the hairline. Once she has access to your underlying brow tissue, Dr. Barone will begin the procedure by adjusting your muscles. She will trim, reconnect, and tighten them to repair any damage and provide a firmer appearance. Then, Dr. Barone will adjust your skin to change the position of your eyebrows according to your preferences. Once this is complete, she will pull your forehead so the skin is taut, and remove the excess tissue before suturing your incision and covering it with bandages. This technique requires a large incision, but it does not usually produce a noticeable scar. Since it is a relatively intensive procedure, you will need to go under intravenous sedation or general anesthesia for this type of brow lift.
The Endoscopic Method
If you have milder cosmetic concerns and want a shorter recovery time, Dr. Barone may use the endoscopic technique for your brow lift. Rather than making one long incision across your scalp, she will make several small ones just beyond your hairline. She will use these to insert a small device called an endoscope, which is a tool attached to a computer-controlled camera. Using the images from the camera projected onto a screen, she will guide the instrument to make similar adjustments as those performed in the coronal brow lift, although slightly subtler. She will tighten your muscle, reshape your forehead and brows, and excise unwanted skin as needed. Dr. Barone will complete the procedure by closing your incisions with sutures and gauze. Since an endoscopic brow lift is much less invasive, you may only need local anesthesia to remain comfortable. However, we can also provide intravenous or oral sedation to keep you more relaxed.
Learn More about Brow Lifts
To discover how a traditional or endoscopic brow lift could rejuvenate your face and boost your confidence, please contact our plastic surgery practice to schedule a consultation with Dr. Barone.