Treating Excess Skin to Improve Body Contours
By Constance M. Barone, M.D. on December 29, 2015
Many individuals struggle to achieve the slim, toned appearance that they desire for their bodies. However, loose skin may be a concern for some patients, particularly for those that experience a fluctuation in weight, such as that experienced during and after pregnancy or following extreme weight loss. Even if a person is within a healthy weight range, excess skin can detract from attractive body contours, or give the impression that the person is holding on to excess weight. Body plastic surgery can help patients eliminate excess skin to give the body a slimmer and more toned appearance. Plastic surgeon Constance M. Barone is happy to help patients explore the treatments for excess skin that are available at our San Antonio, TX practice.
Body Contouring Treatments
There are several body contouring techniques that can remove loose, stretched skin in order to slim and tighten the treatment area. The surgical option that is best will be dependent on the area of the body that requires treatment, and the kind of expectations that patients have for their post-surgical results. Below are some of the treatments for excess skin that may be discussed with patients who are trying to improve body contours:
- Tummy tuck: A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, tightens and smooths the midsection by removing excess skin, and re-draping the remaining skin so the tummy appears slimmer and tighter. The tummy is a common problem area, especially following pregnancy, so this is one of our most popular body contouring procedures.
- Thigh lift: The thighs are another common problem area. During a thigh lift procedure, Dr. Barone will make an incision along the inner thigh to eliminate excess skin and give the upper legs the slim, firm appearance that most people desire.
- Butt lift: Loose skin around the butt can give the backside a saggy appearance, and can greatly detract from the firm, round appearance that patients desire. By removing excess skin, Dr. Barone can make the butt look firmer and more lifted.
- Arm lift: Many people are frustrated by the flabby skin that tends to develop in the upper arms. Even if patients haven’t experienced significant weight fluctuations, the skin on the upper arm does tend to sag over time. Dr. Barone can eliminate this extra, stretched skin to restore firmer, more youthful looking arms.
- Full body lift: Dr. Barone understands that many patients have more than one problem area that requires treatment. During a full body lift, Dr. Barone can lift and tighten skin from several areas of the body at once in order to address multiple issues without requiring patients to go through more than one recovery period. This procedure can be especially helpful following bariatric surgery or extreme weight loss.
Enhancing Body Contour Results
By removing excess skin, Dr. Barone can help patients significantly improve body contours. However, many patients also have stubborn deposits of fat. Liposuction can be combined with any of the above body contouring procedures to further enhance the slimming and tightening results of treatment.
Excess skin can interfere with a patient’s ability to achieve the slim, toned body they desire. Dr. Constance M. Barone can eliminate this excess skin to enhance body contours and help patients achieve their aesthetic goals. To learn more about treatment for excess skin, contact us at your earliest convenience.
Related to This
“Rating our experience with a perfect score is not enough. The care and attention we received from Dr. Barone and her team was as close to perfection as one can ask for.” Jacqueline W.